Monday, April 15, 2013

Turkey based Cha Trung (Vietnamese steamed meat and egg loaf)



I was looking for a good Cha Trung (Vietnamese pork and egg loaf) recipe and came across one that used a mix of beef and turkey, which isn't going to taste anything like pork. But I thought, perhaps I can make a version that has the texture of pork using ground turkey alone.

I started by processing about 1.5 pounds of ground turkey (mixed white and dark) until it was pretty smooth, and then added:

  • 2T chicken fat
  • 1/4c chopped cilantro
  • 1 medium julienned carrot
  • 2T fish sauce
  • 1/2t fresh ground pepper
  • 2T cloud ear mushrooms
  • 4 eggs

This was pressed into a loaf pan, and another beaten egg poured on top of the formed loaf. I don't have a steamer big enough to fit the loaf pan I used, so I baked it at 325 in a bain marie (a water bath) for an hour.


This type of loaf is usually eaten with pork chops, rice, cucumber and chili sauce. I skipped the pork chops and it was still good.

No comments: