Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Ma Po Tofu at Chao Zhou



(Sorry about the fuzzy photo- it was taken with my iPod.)

Chau Zhou has become a favorite place for lunch lately, and I manage to drop in at least every other week. Today I ordered the Ma Po Tofu plate which comes with rice, some Gai Lan, and, curiously (to me), half a salted duck's egg. In fact, every rice dish I've had there has been accompanied by a half a salted duck's egg, in the shell, which makes me curious about the proper protocol for eating said egg. Is it a condiment? A side dish? I just picked bits out and ate them with mouthfuls of the tofu. Maybe one of my readers more knowledgable about Chinese cuisine can enlighten me.

2 comments:

Ed Schenk said...

Been wanting to eat at Chau Zhau. It's in the plaza with the Chinese BBQ,Chinese Bakery and Chinese Grocery.
I love Ma Po Tofu but had it from a Japanese Chef so I can't comment on the duck egg.

michael edelman said...

Their Ma Po Tofu was pretty light on the Szechuan peppercorn. That may be the way they do it, or the way they make it for Caucasians. It's still pretty good.