Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Fried Oysters



I rarely deep fry anything, but when I do, it's oysters. I love fried oysters, and I don't know anywhere around here that does good fried oysters.  They should be crisp on the outside, and barely cooked at all inside. Crunchy, sweet, and juicy. Usually I prepare them by rolling in flour to dry the surface, dip them in  beaten egg, and  roll in bread crumbs or cornmeal, but this time it was real simple: Roll in seasoned (salt and pepper) flour and fry.

Fried oysters go well with that Louisiana standard condiment,  remoulade sauce. There are as many recipes for remoulade as there are people who make it, but all generally include mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and some chopped sweet pickles or pickle relish. Some add capers. I think Siracha sauce adds just the right amount of spiciness. Proportions? Whatever tastes good to you.

No comments: