Sunday, June 03, 2012

Ethical Sardines?


I was making one of my rare trips to Whole Paycheck for bulk oatmeal when I noticed these sardines on the shelf. The price was right- under $2- and they claimed to be hand packed- which, truthfully, all sardines are-  as well as"100% Natural". Are there unnatural sardines? Have I been eating synthetic sardines? The mind boggles.


What they are is large sardines, packed three to a can. The olive oil version is packed in a low-grade olive oil, and the lemon version in safflower oil with a faint lemon scent. There's nothing particularly fancy about them. They're a decent $2 sardine. But since I can get the much better King Oscar two layer sardines in olive oil for close to the same price at Costco (or at Amazon) I'll skip these in the future.

No comments: