Friday, August 28, 2009

Pepperoni Rolls!


I was discussing the early history of Great Britain with a friend when the subject of pepperoni rolls came up, which I think illustrates both the wide ranging interests of my friends, and the general lack of focus that seems to be creeping up on us with age. Where was I? Right. Pepperoni rolls.

These little delicacies never seemed to catch on in pizzerias or fast food outlets./ Rather, they were something you'd find in an Italian bakery, and they were very simple: A roll stuffed with a few slice of pepperoni. That's it. No cheese, no sauce. Just bread and pepperoni. I figured they should be pretty easy to make, and they are.

For my first batch I simply made a batch of my standard bread dough:
  • 3c flour
  • 1-5/8c water
  • 2t salt
  • 1/4 - 1 t instant yeast.
The reason for the varying amounts of yeast is how much time you have to make it. For an overnight rise, use 1/4t of yeast. If you only have a few hours to let it rise, use a full teaspoon.

For the first batch, I divided the dough into 8 parts and put 4 slices in each roll- that's one sliced open at the top of this page. As I'm meeting with my Saturday coffee group tomorrow, I decided to make more of a bite-sized version today. I pinched off just enough dough to cover one slice of pepperoni and placed them on an oiled baking sheet:




About 25 minutes later out came what you see below:


I had one and it was as delicious as the previous batch, and lived up to my memories. We'll see how the gang likes them tomorrow.

No comments: